Monday, September 1, 2008

"Miss Marianne" sonnet

During my senior year of high school (2004/2005), my English teacher gave the class an assignment to write a sonnet. Knowing me, I decided to have it revolve around Jane Austen, as she'd been my favorite author for the past three years.

I decided the story of Marianne Dashwood would suffice, and unfortunately, there just weren't enough lines in a sonnet to get my idea out. So this is the result, and it's about four years old, so I can already see how my writing has developed. In any case, I thought I'd share.

"Miss Marianne"


What could I do to fill such empty void?
My hopes and dreams all fade away with him.
A future with John Willoughby-- destroyed;
What's left: a world of loneliness too grim.

"Dear Marianne, our love can never last,"
Quoth he, the day he left me in despair.
Yet wed did he (for wealth) to overcast
The truth he hid so long: an old affair.

So passionate but prudent I had been!
I chased blue sky which only led to rain.
But love was set to find me once again
In Colonel Brandon who did ease my pain.

As such, to give advice I shall say this:
Good sense will bring you love and happiness.

No comments: